What things do i need to know when buying a car?
I would like to buy a used car from a dealer, i m a first time car buyer so i need all the important info i can get to get a good deal. I would gladly appreciate it if anyone can give me important details of things i need to know and do. I don t know yet what kind of car i want to get. I was thinking of a Honda Civic because i heard its affordable and convenient, overall a good car. But my husband doesn t want a Civic because according to him its to small of a car. Our Second option is a Ford Focus.
I want to know if you know any other cars that are gas saving.
How much can i put for down paymet? Is more better?
When is it the best time to buy a car to get a good deal? How do i know im getting a fair deal?
I have very little credit, im 21 bearly starting, my husband has ok credit will that affect anything?
Will the dealer ask for our ssn if so why?
What should we ask or tell the dealer guy and what not to say?
My husband is a cdl driver will that help us get a good quote for car insurance? Were planning State Farm
This car is mainly going to be used for work purposes.
After buying the car what do i have to do next? ( licence plates, registration, tittle)
Thank-you for the help!
You can compare quotes from different companies for free at: Usa insurance quotes
A Ford Focus is no bigger than a Civic. A Honda Accord or Ford Fusion may be a better choice for you.
Unless you are getting 0% financing, the more you can put down, the better.
If your husband has ok credit, make him the primary borrower and you the co-signer for the best rates.
The dealer will only ask you for your SSN if you are asking them to find financing for you. If you are not financing through them, don t give them this information.
Shop around for insurance. State Farm is too high for where I live, but it may work for you. Also check out Nationwide, Allstate, AAA, Geico, Progressive, and Esurance. Many of these places provide online quotes, as well.
Top Do s” in Car buying:
1) DO drive and have the car you want professionally inspected before you buy it.
2) DO walk out of the dealership if the salesperson raises the price from what was previously negotiated via phone or email.
3) DO negotiate one thing at a time. – Purchase price of car, then trade-in value, then financing.
4) DO put the down payment on a credit card if you can. In case the dealer goes out of business before vehicle delivery, it is easier to recover.
5) DO make sure the dealer pays off your trade-in promptly. You are responsible for payments until it is paid off.
6) DO make sure you get financing approval from a bank or credit union before walking into the dealership. Link attached, below, for you to search for your closest credit union.
Top DON T S in car buying:
1) DON T visit a dealership offering specials where your car is a desired trade-in . These are run by 3rd parties that maximize dealer profit.
2) DON T purchase unnecessary extras like VIN etching,extended warranties,rust proofing and fabric protection.
3) DON T take delivery of a vehicle before financing is final.
if you are looking for longevity and durability go with a honda,toyota,mitsubishi. if you lik ethe domestic cars get either chevy or ford. they all are close in size and price ranges.
by natasha r Member since:
January 03, 2008
128 (Level 1)